The Department of Physical Education and Sport Science was founded in 1982 and since 2013 belongs to the School of Physical Education and Sports Sciences.
The curriculum is structured in eight semesters and is the minimum time required to obtain the degree. It consists of basic theoretical and applied courses, direction courses, free choice courses (theoretical and applied). In the last year (4th) students receive specialty in theoretical or applied field.
The subjects are taught at the sport venues, at the school, in the laboratories and in the halls The Department offers undergraduate, graduate and doctoral studies. Studying link the theory of sports sciences with their practical application. Students acquire appropriate knowledge for work in physical education at school and in all areas of sports, exercise, sports recreation as well as physical activity.
Τhe systematic adaptations of curricula reveals the connection of the educational needs with the real needs of the sport market fulfilling the mission of the department.
The mission of the Department is:
- To promote the science of Physical Education and Sports, through the academic and applied teaching and research.
- To provide graduates with the appropriate knowledge for their scientific and professional career.
- To contribute to the progress of sports in Greece and to disseminate the athletic spirit.
- To contribute to the citizens’ consciousness of the importance of Physical Education as a fundamental factor for the improvement of the quality of life.
- From 1982, SPESS of Thessaloniki has awarded the degree to more than 12500 graduates.